How to stress less
While stress is something that usually has to be dealt with in varying degrees year-round, Christmas is consistently listed as one of the most stressful times of the year. There can be a wide range of reasons people find the festive season stressful. Whether it be increased amounts of travel, visiting family that we may not get along with, missing family we won’t be seeing or getting everything done before family descends. If this sounds like you, it is important to be aware and plan in advance to minimise stress. Using these simple techniques can help to ensure stress is managed in a healthy way:
- Take the time to think about what situations have led to increased stress levels in the past or identify what specifically is causing your stress
- Be self-aware and notice and identify signs that you are getting stressed before it escalates
- Pay attention to negative ‘self-talk’ and the way it may be contributing to stress levels
- Take control and plan any tasks that need to be accomplished with ample time to spare
- Make an effort to resolve any personal conflicts before the festive season starts • Don’t be afraid to say no if you feel you are getting overwhelmed
- Ensure you are regularly allocating time to doing things that will actively help reduce stress such as exercising, meditating, reading, listening to music, talking to a friend, family member, doctor or counsellor and relaxation exercises such as controlled breathing, muscle tension and muscle relaxation exercises
- Look after your health by maintaining a healthy diet, getting enough sleep and avoid using stimulants and alcohol to cope.
Stress, particularly over long periods of time, can have a range of negative effects on the immune system (1). Keeping the immune system healthy is vitally important at any time of the year, but around the festive season it can be the difference between joining in the fun and sitting on the sidelines. Taking Comvita Fresh-Picked™ Olive Leaf Extract all year round is a natural way to support the immune system while delivering a high-dose antioxidant boost.
So before the festive season kicks in, take care of your health and wellbeing first by taking Comvita Fresh-Picked™ Olive Leaf Extract.
- Segerstrom, S. C., & Miller, G. E. (2004). Psychological Stress and the Human Immune System: A Meta-Analytic Study of 30 Years of Inquiry. Psychological Bulletin, 130(4), 601–630. http://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.130.4.601